Wednesday, June 23, 2010

3 Cool Maps

This first map shows Griffith Park and its surrounding areas during a fire season in 2007. The map has been provided by the Governor's Office of Emergency Services. I feel like if this map were more defined it would be a really good map because it provides scale, relief, points of interest, streets, etc. In this map the urban areas are shown as well as the large Griffith Park. Transportation networks are mapped out and elevation is shown, although it may not be that clear. I find this map interesting because I frequently visit the Griffith Park Observatory and the LA Zoo, but beyond these two locations I have a very limited knowledge of Griffith Park. I didn't even know it was this big and that it had high and low elevations. I really only knew the very outskirts of this area in CA, although it is close to where I live.



The map to the right shows California's vegetation composition, showing the various habitats and land types that make up the Golden State. This map was created by Jeremiah Easter, a herpetology student at the University of California Berkeley. This source may not be as reputable or reliable as other official sources, but I feel that Easter did some extensive research when I look at the detail of his map. The map shows 21 different types of vegetation or habitat, their locations and area size. Each area is identified by a given color as seen in the legend. This map is interesting because it shows how diverse our state is. I don't know of any other place that has a land composition that varies as much as the state of California. This map shows me the different kinds of places I could encounter. Living in Long Beach, I've gotten an idea of our state's land diversity, as the beach, the mountains, and the forests were a simple drive away and this map shows me exactly that.


The map on the left depicts the Mt. Whitney Zone in the Inyo National Forest here in California. The map is provided by the US Forest Service for hikers interested in taking the North Fork Lone Pine Creek Trail to Mt. Whitney. The map highlights key points of interest in the area such as neighboring mountains, bodies of water, trails, and recreation areas. It also provides simple elevation information as a relief map, making the topography of the land visible; somewhat turning "2-D into 3-D". I find this map interesting because my family takes a trip to Lone Pine and the Whitney Portal Recreation Area every year. Being able to see the land I visit from this point of view really gives me an appreciation for my surroundings. Also, I go fishing on the Lone Pine Creek and I always see the beginning of the trail that leads up to Mt. Whitney. It's really cool to be able to see where that trail leads, what elevations a hiker would encounter, and how the land is built. The fact that Mt. Whitney is the highest mountain in the contiguous United States makes this map even more interesting because I am able to see the elevation building around the summit and the mountains that neighbor Mt. Whitney. Through this map I am able to know more about the place I visit every year. When I'm surrounded by desert, mountains, creeks, etc. it's hard to know what the land is like beyond what I can see around me. With this map I have a glimpse of what is beyond what my eyes can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment